So lately, I feel like I've been losing my mind. I'm always mentally exhausted and I've become quite forgetful. I'll start doing something and then if something distracts me, I completely forget what I was working on. I'm forgetting people's names and even things I did yesterday. Oy!
In an effort to stay mentally sharp, I'm trying to read more. I'm not sure why I think this will keep me sharp but I feel like if I engage my mind in something not work-related (since that's what is leaving me mentally exhausted), that I'll be giving my brain a work-out.
I used to read books awhile ago but that kind of dropped off for awhile but was picked back up on the honeymoon. I read through 6 books in 10 days. I just finished Marley & Me and I purchased more books over the weekend. I'd open up a library card if I didn't fear that my library outlaw status was still in tact. In case you're wondering, I'm a wanted felon with the Maryland library system. I had let a friend check out some books on my card in high school for a thesis paper. Well, she lost the books. They were reference books so they were like a bajillion dollars. So, I owe the library a few hundred dollars. I stopped going. I tried to reopen a card a few years ago but they still had me down as a bandit. Crap. I might try again since my last name is different but I'm still scared. I am scared of librarians!
Anywho - to keep me up on reading (I could easily stop again), I think it would be kind of cool (okay, maybe not COOL) to start a book club. I know it sounds uber old but I think it would keep me in check with reading. And it could be fun to have a somewhat intellectual conversation about the book, right? I asked Kristin and Theresa if they were game but they were more into the idea of meeting once a month and drinking wine. Who am I kidding, that's what I find more interesting too. Plus, I don't share the same likes in books as everyone. I prefer memoirs. I hate fiction and I hate chick-lit. The more f'ed up the memoir, the better.
A Million Little Pieces was fantastic until I found out that it was more fictional than the author originally stated. I hate liars. I never finished the book. One of my favorite books ever is "Running with Scissors" by Augusten Burroughs but the movie blew. I hate when movies ruin a good book.
Anywho - I just purchased these books:
I'm reading The Tender Bar now. Its good... but a little slow.
Any other good recommendations on how to stay mentally sharp?
5 comments:
i use to try and stay mentally sharp by completing the sudoku puzzles and crosswords from the washington post. i haven't done that in over a year though. the middle school i taught at had a subscription but the one elementary school i'm at does not. now i'm too cheap to go out and buy my own copy.
i think you and i have some similar reading tastes, although i read a little more trashy mindless chic lit than you do. i do love a crazy memoir, makes me feel like my life is a little more normal. finish up your new books so i can borrow them!
i'm reading the tender bar right now too. i have tons of good memoir recommendations if you want them. :)
I'm re-reading Harry Potter...does that count? :)
I'm just preparing for the 7th (and final?) book next month! I know...I'm special
"Oh yeah" by Yellow is on right now and I can't help but think of Ferris Bueller...ok that's my ADD moment.
I used to read every night before bed, but now I can barely keep my eyes open. I need a good book to motivate me.
there's nothing wrong with harry potter!!! yeah i know, i'm special too. i never thought i'd ever read chick lit but sometimes real life is f'ed up enough that i ned brain candy to escape and relax. i don' know about memoirs but i tend to read historical biogs of at least a couple hundred years since the subject bit it. but then the last couple books i bought were about ecology as i'm a nature geek.
Thereas,
When me and my husband google our names, your blogs come up. Here is the deal, do not include our relationship in any more of your comments, quotes, discussions, blogs, e-mails, or web additions. We are working on rebuilding our life after what was an attempt to get help from a TV show, it has put everything in an public arena that was a mistake. We are rebuilding our lives with our children and need to protect ourselves and them, there are too many bad people out there who have used this to threat, imtimadate, search out and track us down because of all of this and we need to be left alone to get our lives back in order.
Thank you for honoring our wishes. Jennifer Deceder
Post a Comment