Tuesday, December 11, 2007

I Can't Wait For You to Get Old!

I ran the Jingle Bell 5k run Sunday morning. It was one of my worst race times (in terms of nonstop running) but in my defense, half of it was up a super steep hill! Okay, maybe not HALF... but a lot of it. And if you ask The Mr, he'll tell you that it was "rolling hills". Either way - it was painful.

We kind of went back and forth about whether or not we truly felt like getting up early to run in the cold. The weather forecast the night before said it was going to start raining around 6am. We had decided that if it was raining, we were sleeping in. Much to our dismay, it wasn't raining. And it didn't start raining while we were standing there waiting for the race to start or for the first mile. Then it started raining. I think at that point, The Mr was almost done the race. I was not. I was busy hating life but was determined to finish. And I did. The Mr placed 38th. I placed 316th. Ouch.

So yesterday, I was feeling a little under the weather. Actually - I've been feeling pretty drained for awhile now but yesterday was the worst. My knees throbbed, my lungs burned. Awful. At my office's holiday luncheon, I mentioned that my knees hurt and one of my supervisors actually said to me, "You need to be careful! I was around your age when I had to stop running." To which I casually replied, "I just need to strengthen the muscles around my knees. I've gone through this before..." Her response? "I can't wait for you to get old! You'll see."

Ouch.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

you should definitely poop in her togo salad

Scooter McFly said...

rofl @ thesmackfactor.com.

and major kudos for you for walking in that dreariness, but look at you! who cares what place you finished ... you finished! i know a ton of people that would have just given up--probably myself included!--so i am so proud of you!

you. dear. are. amazing!

<3 you!

Kate said...

You two are quite the little athletes these days - I wish we could get that motivated!

Andrea said...

Hey yeah! Nikon School was great! I think Maria might be checking out the one in Baltimore...wish I could have gone with you guys :)

Terri: said...

congrats on the 5k! don't be discouraged by how you placed, how many people can actually say that they've run in a 5k?

maria said...

i can't even run a quarter mile without having to stop for a break. i don't know how you guys do it...amazing.