The Mr and I officially finished Christmas shopping last night (well... we still need to get each other presents but that's not very difficult). Phew! I think the fact that we knew EXACTLY what we were looking for made the excursion last night painless and fast. Yippee!
And I guess The Mr's feeling really generous. I hate to sound like a cheap-o but... I am when it comes to this time of year. But only with those that are cheap with me. Yeah yeah yeah, you don't give to receive but its kind of annoying when you shell out $$$ for someone's gift and they bought you something from the 5 Below store.
I guess it helped that my brother declared that we are not exchanging gifts this year. Actually, his message to me was, "I'm not doing presents this year. Everyone can go fuck themselves... but I know you'll insist on getting me something so just bake me some cookies or some shit." I love my brother. I also love that we won't be getting another iconic picture of the Virgin Mary! He was on a roll with that and I found out he did it as a joke because he loved how uncomfortable it made people. He found it even MORE hilarious when they hung the pics in their house. I am SO guilty of this but in my defense, the iconic picture he chose for 2005 was very intesting and not at all religious in appearance. 2006 was a bit much for me and it sits in my basement.
So, without having to worry about that expense - perhaps The Mr thought we could spend more? Or maybe I'm still in the mindset that we're always broke. I got used to this during wedding planning. Maybe we have money now? I don't manage that portion of our lives because I would give myself an ulcer.
Anywho - last year we spent about $40 on his sister and bro-in-law. And in return, they spent... I won't say but I had a hard time letting go of not spending too much. In The Mr's own words, "they're broke". They're not - but they can't afford to spend lots on gifts so what the hell. We splurged. And I hope they like it. We're also splurging on our parents a bit (not much!).
But what really has me saying that The Mr is being generous is the fact that he's tipping everyone. It started off with us wanting to leave a small gift for our dog-walker, Molly. But then we had to consider that John walks them every once in awhile. The Mr. googled what was appropriate to give and came up with some formula for dollar amounts and saw that you should give a gift to your postal service person. I have never in my life done such a thing but apparently its something you're supposed to do. Who knew? So we bought her a gift card to Target. I hope she likes it and I hope it makes her day a little nicer because I can't imagine that its fun to deliver mail in Baltimore city.
Oh and I donated my hair! I nixed Locks of Love because I heard a ton of bad things about them and went with Pantene's Beautiful Lengths program. I don't have pics uploaded but I'll blog about it later. I cut off 10 inches of my hair. Insane.
Are any of you finding yourselves being more generous this year?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
extremely bitter comment deleted by author
PS my verification word was "ruphi".
Not necessarily MORE generous, but I think I'm a pretty giving person. I don't tip the mailman, but I do tip my stylist and I bake cookies/goodies for my mechanic.
Good for you for your hair donation!
you're supposed to tip your postal worker? don't i feel like a scrooge... seriously though, who knew?
How long does your hair have to be to donate? I'm also chopping mine after the wedding:) I can't wait!
i would love to be generous this year ... unfortunately, like most of america, i save all my xmas shopping until last minute and, well ... i don't have the cash this year due to the new place, all my first bills, trying to get it all together, etc ... so, everyone is getting cards.
i know this seems lame and it is, but if i buy something for everyone, i'll be out of my new apartment by next month ... that, or starving. i love my friends dearly and it does pain me to not be able to get them gifts, but i just can't ... ::brood::
I would love to say that I was more generous this year, but I'm trying to save as much money as I can before I retire in July. So I only bought xmas present for my Dad and step-mom.
Post a Comment