Thursday, January 17, 2008

Good Luck Twink

I have come to realize that I am a good luck charm for ladies shopping for wedding dresses. I went with Ronny a couple of weeks ago and she found her dress in the first store (it was even the first dress she tried on!). Last night, I went with Kristin who also scored herself a fab dress on her first outing. Whoo!

I, unlike these lucky ladies, ended going to 7 f'n bridal shops. 7. S-E-V-E-N. I think my problem was that I listened too much to what everyone else had to say in terms of where to go (so I felt like I had to try out all recommended stores). I also struggled with cost. See - I started with a pricey shop FIRST and then it was just way to difficult to go any lower but the idea of forking over beau coup bucks for a dress seemed ridiculous.

I forked over beau coup bucks, in case you're wondering.

But I love my dress. I just wished I would have gone to the last store FIRST and I could have avoided some major headaches and stress... not to mention not having to listen to my mother criticize my small boobs and butt REPEATEDLY.

I really enjoyed dress shopping as part of the support system. No pressure from salespeople. No stares from bystanders who feel the need to interject their comments. It was fabulous. It was even better going as a veteran because I was WAY more helpful to Kristin than the saleslady. I was out on the floor pulling dresses and whatnot. I even got confused as being an employee.

And now I'm completely enamoured by weddings all over again. I found myself looking at the Oriental Trading wedding edition catalog and I'm planning out stationary for Kristin (sorry, but its true). Ack! But I do love the moment when the girl finds THE dress.

Unless of course you're the bride who's tatted up like Sweet P (Project Runway):


And you're trying on super poufy tulle princess dresses like the one found here.

There was an uber goth chick with tattoos everywhere (and a very class lotus blossom right in the center of her chest) that seemed adamant on having this sort of gown. It was strange but I guess whatever makes you happy.

Different strokes for different folks.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm loving watching my brother and his fiancee plan their wedding at the moment - I have plenty of ideas to share with them when they ask, but none of the stress of it... Going dress shopping with her tomorrow! (Bridesmaids dresses, though... So I WILL have to be trying them on)

Anonymous said...

I opened a pattern book at random and found my dress. (My mother made my dress and the bridesmaids and the flower girls) Of course I had a set dress in mind and we found the pattern for that but when we went to the fabric store and we needed to see how much fabric to get I went and flipped open a fabric book and found my dress. So simple, so wonderful, so beautiful. And I never even had to try one on!

Anonymous said...

they had a "tattoo cover up kit" at the counter but something tells me that bride will be showing off her art proudly, especially the cleavage-enhancing (not that she needed help there) flower. like you said, different strokes...

you were a LIFESAVER. i heard them offer you a job - probably cause you were showing them all up with your super-helpfulness. :)

MMC said...

Ha, I found my dress on e-bay and I didn't even try it on at the store or anything--- just saw it, and bought it. Only paid $100!