Hello.
My last rant about school has since subsided a bit but has been replaced with an overall feeling of dread.
My first class (database design - again, please try to contain your jealousy of this oh so fascinating subject) isn't so bad. Smack was right about how much turdier I'd feel had I rejected my previously turdy teammate. And at least I knew I had one reliable teammate. So perhaps this will balance everything out? So far - so good. The hardest part is coordinating schedules to work on our project.
The new girl who inadvertently invited the previously turdy teammate to join our group has been a bit absent lately. I was pissed at first and couldn't help but think oh no, here we go again until she told me that her mom had fallen very ill and was hospitalized for some time. She is her mom's primary caregiver now and I couldn't help but flash back to when my dad had his stroke when I was in college. I sympathize with her and told her not to get too stressed about not being able to meet up. But she really is trying and I commend her for it.
So... I'm not too too stressed about this class.
Now, my second class (software testing!) is another story. Oh the mental anguish. The story behind my original teammate who spoke VERY VERY loudly and was difficult to understand is long. Its funny but he ended up dropping the course anyways.
I spent a portion of my weekend sweating over the course material (its like reading a foreign language) and feeling just plain sick over the fact that I had no partner or group and we had deliverables for our project due on Thursday. I had missed the course drop date (it was Friday!) and didn't want to risk losing out the bajillion dollars in tuition money that I had spent.
Yesterday I was waffling back and forth... Do I drop the course?... Do I stick it out?
I sent a mass e-mail to the class and was able to find a partner (for the presentations) and a group (for the group project) quite easily. But still... this course if VERY labor intensive. VERY technical. VERY theoretical. VERY boring.
But then it hit me. If graduate school was meant to be easy, everyone would do it. I guess I have to suck it up and brace myself for a very unfun 3 months.
As for the 2 forty minute presentations I have to give - I'm an awful public speaker. Eric suggested that I go up with a karaoke machine and sing my presentation. Sadly - I would have an easier time doing that then delivering a serious presentation. Any advice?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
practice, practice, practice! seriously i am the worst public speaker ever. i get sooo nervous. but the more times i stand in front of a mirror and go over my speech, the more routine it becomes.
Hey lady - I agree with pp - PRACTICE is the best way to get over your fear. See if your company has Toastmasters or something - that will help you practice. My friend gets extremely nervous with public speaking so she used to practice in front of me. Weird - but she still got just as nervous. I think she did toastmasters and it really helped!
Twinks you can do it! I'm sure you think your a lot worse than you actually are in public speaking. In fact, when I've seen you speak in front of groups of people, you are both engaging and funny. I think you're the perfect person that can turn any drab subject into something witty and interesting. Use your skillz babe.
Also, I took the presentation skills training here at the job and it helped a little. I wish I could take it again because I speak in front of groups more now than I did back then. Nonetheless, I'm sure you'll be great! Good luck! :-)
This post sucks
-anonymous
haha!!
Just kidding...you know you'll do great in the class. I HATE public speaking and I know I do it poorly, but I have heard great things about this Toastmasters thing...might be worth a try
jamie so funny. mr twink large bossom muscular rectal spasm. make money sweet time. take biscuits with aplomb and work hard to grade score high!
But on a serious note, 40 minute presentations are lame in school and even lamer in real life. holy CRAP I'd throw up on 40 minutes.
Would it be cliche of me to tell you to picture everyone in their underwear? :)
I admire you for sticking it out, woman! I wish I had half the drive and motivation that you have. Maybe you could rap your presentation and have your partner beatbox?
Post a Comment