Thursday, March 20, 2008

Things Would Just be Easier if Everyone was like Me

I realized the other day that the title of this blog implies that I write about married life or weddings... and I really don't. Does that bother anyone? I guess for me, getting married didn't really change anything between me and The Mr. I wasn't transformed into a new person. I just get to call him my husband and I have a new last name. We lived together for awhile before getting hitched so nothing is really different to me. And that's not a bad thing.

The only different thing is that we get asked about having children all the f'n time.

But I digress, I wanted to chat about some of the upcoming weddings. We're at the age where over the last couple of years - a large number of our friends got hitched. I think 2006 was the biggest year with about 10 couples. Last year, there were only 2 and this year, there are 4. We've been asked to participate (between the 2 of us) in 3 of the weddings.

Holy crap.

The Mr is in 2 weddings as a groomsman and I'm in 2 weddings, one as a bridesmaid and one as a maid of honor (yeah yeah, its MATRON but that just sounds so old). I'd only actually been in one other wedding previously and I forgot how much it sucks balls to collaborate with people you don't know too well.

I'm a bridesmaid in a wedding in September for Ronny. We just ordered our dresses and bless her little heart, she suggested this. While I'm not crazy for a long dress, I do love that its only $98. Seriously - who wants to blow $150+ for a bridesmaid dress they'll never wear again?

And news flash brides-to-be, no matter how much you think the dress is rewearable... it isn't. Don't fool yourself or try to make yourself feel better. 99% of the time, your girls will not rewear the dress UNLESS its not a bridesmaid dress. Even though I'd like to think the dresses my girls wore are something they'll wear again, I know better. Not being a bride-to-be anymore has opened my eyes to some of the ridiculous things we tell ourselves.

Anywho... I'm a maid of honor in a wedding in October for Kristin. Lucky for me, her main color is the same as Ronny's (blue). Score! I suggested this same dress to Kristin secretly praying she'd be up for it and not be one of those girls that can't possibly fathom having the same bridesmaid dress used in another wedding (it sounds ridiculous, but it happened to Theresa... who is now stuck with 2 strapless dark brown dresses). I mean, its only $98 but I am never going to wear this again. Only proving why I heart Kristin, she gave the dress the green light. She's been very laid back during this entire process and its been fantastic.

So - the only issue with this dress is that Nordstrom tends to sell out of these type of dresses very quickly. I've e-mailed the other 2 bridesmaids twice now with no response. I even suggested to Kristin that she order the dresses for them and have them pay her back... she just needs their measurements.

These girls are driving me crazy. I feel like I've been very receptive and responsive to the maid of honor in Ronny's wedding because I know how much it blows to work with a bunch of girls that you don't know well. I was hoping I wouldn't run into this with Kristin's wedding because I know both of her bridesmaids.

I'm on the verge of harassing the shit out of them so I can get some opinions, responses, etc from them because I'm not going to be doing everything on my own. If that ends up being the case, I'm not inviting them to the shower or bachelorette party! Yarg!

So for anyone that's been in this position, how did you handle it? How do you coordinate a bunch of girls to suggest ideas, participate, anything?! Why can't they just share my same mindset and want to figure things out sooner rather than later? Am I crazy?

And would it be inappopriate to leave a bag of poop on their doorsteps?

[Ed. note] I just reread what I wrote and I kind of sound like a selfish jerk. Let me briefly explain why I was hoping to reuse the same dress in 2 weddings... while $98 may not be much, it sucks when its being used as a one-time thing. I was hoping to be able to save some costs somewhere because I would use that towards bridal activities or a better gift. Phew! I feel better now.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! That's amazing that you got her to agree. Now you can wear it twice! And it's more money to blow at the bachelorette parties! Woot!

Stacy said...

Oy I feel for ya! When I was the maid of honor in my friends wedding, I had to try and gather not only 8 girls, where two were impossible to get a hold of, but also a bride that was everywhere!!! I literally stalked them :P Emails were followed by texts that an email was sent, followed by a phone call if the email or text was not answered. And u know me I'm NOT like that! But I had to be...they met me for the first time and were like "Whoa you're so fun! I was scared of you!" hahaha whoops. But hey it got done!

I said I'd only plan one wedding in my life - and that was the one! Unfortunately it wasn't mine - so IF i ever get married, expect a keg party in my back yard :P

rebekah said...

Show up at their houses early early on Sunday morning. Preferably after you've pulled an all nighter at the clubs. Or call their mothers.

Michelle and the City said...

i don't think that's selfish at all. if the other bride's up for it, why not get use out of the dress? and bonus, it's really pretty.

hope everything works out and you can get it contact with them!

Jamie said...

I think that dress is very pretty...I'm glad you can get dual-use out of it :)

I hope you were only joking about not inviting the bm's (I said bm)to the shower or bachelorette party. The only person that would upset is Kristin and I know you don't want to do that. I understand your frustration, I can stalk these girls if you need a hand! :)

Z said...

YAY for getting to wear the same dress twice! Because, yeah, a bridesmaid dress? NEVER GOING TO BE WORN AGAIN.

Also? I'm with you on marriage not changing much... We lived together beforehand, I didn't change my name, so... yeah. Though I do like being able to call him "my husband." And we did file our taxes jointly...

Charm City Kim said...

Jamie! I can't even believe that you just said, "I hope that you were only joking."

That actually hurts. I know I'm pretty sarcastic and come off as a jerk, but I'm not actually a jerk.

And actually - I know Kristin would only be upset if one of her BMs wasn't invited (and I would never do that!!). The other one? Yeah - she's getting on her nerves. But still - I am not a jerk!

Jamie said...

lol...I know sweetie!! You could NEVER be that person :)

Nanette said...

Have Kristen harass them. It'll mean more coming from the bride than the bride's friend. Tell her to tell them that Nordstrom's may sell out of the dress soon so they need to get on the ball ASAP!

Anonymous said...

I don't have much to say other than bags of shit are pretty funny.

willikat said...

love the dress! glad you can use it a couple of times.

Terri: said...

i agree with nanette -- have kristin say something to them about the dresses. i'm sure they'll perk up then.

i'm glad you get to wear that dress more than once. i've got a friend who after, i think, after a 3-yr period had 7 or 8 dresses she's never going to wear again.