Thursday, October 16, 2008

Some Random Thoughts

I have lots I feel I could blog about but because I'm trying to transition to the new blog, I'm trying to save it. But then I know I'll forget it. Oy, what to do.

Also - I'm slacking with pictures. Pictures from Juli's wedding, Edinburgh, Kristin's wedding... oy again.

With that said, here are just some random things just do you all know that I'm alive:

- I've decided to go with the "How Now, Non Cow" name for my E-commerce project. Any graphic designers out there wanna whip up a cute little logo for it? :-) I'm a bit design challenged.

- I signed up for the Iron Girl sprint triathlon. It isn't until August so I have about 10 months to train. I'm pretty stoked but I hope I didn't just bite off more than I can chew. It's 0.62 miles of swimming, 17.5 miles of biking and 3.4 miles of running. The biking and running don't scare me so much (especially since I biked 40 miles and survived!) but I'm not a great swimmer. I'm pretty sure 0.62 miles of DOGGY PADDLING will kill me. I need to learn how to swim.

I was worried about having to join a gym just for an indoor pool but I learned that my grad school has one... and I can use it for free! Yippee! Any tips on swimming? What kind of bathing suit do I need to wear? I'm sure a bikini is out of the question. I guess I'll have to suck it up and buy one of those Speedo one pieces that will make me look like a 12 year old girl.

Also - what kind of bike should I get? I clearly have no idea what I'm doing. I need to find a good training schedule too.

- I ran the Baltimore Running Festival 5k this past weekend and it was my best time yet. 27:07. I know that's not fast (and someone even asked me if I walked it) but that's a PR for me. And I didn't even want to die afterwards... although as I was sprinting towards the finish line, I thought I was going to shit myself. Don't ask.

- I think I'm going to try to run a 10k for sure in 2009. I found a training schedule that seems reasonable and may try my hand at it once this semester is over.

- When did I decide that I wanted to be such an athlete/runner? I think it's the free issues of "Runner's World" that we've been getting. I've even deluded myself into thinking I could potentially run a marathon. Ha!

What's new with you?

8 comments:

DFactor said...

That's in Columbia right? My sister is doing that too! Good seeing you briefly on Friday!

La Petite Chic said...

I've always wanted to do a triathlon but I'm a terrible swimmer too!
P.S. Speedo makes a two-piece! I had one in college when we had to do water running workouts for XC! It's sporty looking.

mainlyclearskies said...

I am a bad swimmer too. Or maybe even a non-swimmer. I don't think the doggy paddling even counts. Nuts.

Jane said...

It's so cool that you're doing a triathlon! They're a lot of fun. Any kind of suit that stays on will be fine for training - Speedo does have some cute two-piece suits that will be fine. At some point (when you start doing bricks) you'll probably want to swim in your tri suit. What kind of bike do you have now? How much are you looking to spend? A hybrid bike or an entry-level road bike should be fine for a sprint triathlon. I have done a few triathlons, so feel free to email me if you want tips - maybe it will encourage me to start training again! :)

Kyla said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kyla said...

try this web site out for free training plans for all levels...they also have some good info. I am a newbie triathlete too and the plan was very doable...
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/

addy said...

I was in Baltimore yesterday! It was fun, and I thought of you bc I never wanted to go there until your blog, and I really enjoyed it!

maria said...

you are my hero.