I know I've spoken a bit about my 10 year reunion, and I promise to write about it sometime soon. I just had aspirations of posting pics from high school (and even middle school because oy - was I a hot mess) but it's a lot of work. I'll get there soon. I just have to wait until my finals are over!
Anywho - I decided that if I were hit by a car today, I would have been guaranteed a spot in heaven. I started the morning by donating blood and then spent the rest of the day volunteering at the Maryland Food Bank sorting food.
Sorting anything on a conveyor belt is definitely not the job for me. I think sitting on my ass for 8 hours a day in front of a computer have made standing on my feet for more than 2 hours torture. TORTURE.
Regardless - I was kind of appalled and confused by the food that was donated to the food bank. You had your standards: canned corn, canned beans, canned any vegetable and canned any fruit. You also had a plethora of holiday items: gravy, stuffing, yams, potatoes, blah blah blah.
But you also had: canned oysters, canned chipotle sauce, random plastic packs of salad dressing (that one would get with a salad from a fast food joint), random mini packs of jelly (like you'd find in restaurant), loose packs of instant oatmeal (like a person had purchased a box of 6 and eaten 2 so they decided to toss the remaining loose packs into the Food Bank box), hominy (seriously - what the fuck is hominy and when/where do you eat this shit?) and... my favorites:
- a jar of Natural Peanut Butter whose oil had separated to the point where about 3 inches of oild was sitting on top. Oh and the expiration date was March 2007.
- a giant shady can of chicken. It didn't say anything. It just had a vector image of a chicken on it. I didn't trust it.
- TONS of NutriSystem items: snack bars, microwave meals, cookies... is someone trying to give the poor a hint?
- A BOTTLE OF BROWN KETCHUP. Clearly the shit was old.
I mean - I get that if you're not eating the food, you should donate it to a good cause. But the people you're donating to aren't pieces of shit. Why would someone think it is acceptable for them to eat shit that expired over a year ago?
I was baffled.
I don't want to dog the whole selection of donations. I was pleasantly surprised to see some really nice items. Lots of organic soups, vegetables, etc. Lots of vegan (yes vegan!) items like mac n cheese, soups, etc.
But still - packets of soy sauce? Really?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
We had an elderly neighbor who liked to give us stuff like plaid strech pants meant for people shorter than five foot. She once gave us a can similar to the chicken but it was beef. A black outline of a cow and the words beef. Needless to say, it was donated. I later learned that military foods typically come in those cans. I am not sure if the cans are from WWII military or the current military.
Wow that's nuts! I would love to see the people who donated those items. I would give them a very dirty look, followed by a long flickering eye roll. I mean really... people are not garbage disposals!!! Ggrrrr
Those are some... interesting... donations. But, YAY you! Kudos volunteering!!! :)
I've felt so very good lately b/c I started donating plasma. It really gives me the warm fuzzies.
And the fact that people donate things to a food bank that they got for free kind of defeats the purpose, no?
Hominy is white corn. Dry hominy is what is ground up to make grits. It's delicious out of the can, and even more delicious as grits on the side of your Waffle House All-Star Special. I will end with a preemptive "screw you for judging me."
Ugh it makes me so mad when people do things like that. Rude. Disrespectful.
Packets of soy sauce make perfect sense. There's nothing worse than being poor and sitting down to a meal of sushi and realizing that you have no condiments with which you can enjoy it.
No wait, you're right, that actually makes no sense.
Hominy! It's awesome. Bake it with bacon and butter! Oh, so good. And it's corn. Don't judge it until you eat it.
Post a Comment