Friday, January 16, 2009

Saving the Economy

I think that I am single handedly saving the economy because I can't seem to stop shopping. I don't know what has happened to me but it's like a switch has been hit in my brain that says, "keep buying stuff you don't need". I didn't do much shopping last year and then the holidays hit. Every store had crazy sales and I just lost my mind.

Crazy sales are STILL happening and I just can't stop buying things. I don't think I've paid full price for anything outside of gas and food in the last 3 months.

Yesterday, I received an e-mail from J. Crew that there was an additional 20% off of sale merchandise sale happening this weekend. Of course I had to check it out. I quickly filled my shopping cart with merchandise that I periodically went through and cleaned out but I was most stoked about a bathing suit. I managed to find 2 tops and a bottom all in my sizes and in the same color. Cha-ching! Each piece would have been $7.99.

I weeded out some of the crazy "ooh - it's on sale so I'll totally buy this sequined jumper" out of my shopping cart and had a good number of solid items. But then… someone stopped by my desk to chat. And by chat, I mean talk to me for 10 minutes about nonsense. I can't really say, "Excuse me but I'm doing some quick online shopping at work before I head off to this meeting so can you please shut the fuck up so that I can proceed to buy things I don't need" because that's not really work appropriate.

When Chatty Cathy walked away, I refreshed the screen and a few items had sold out. Okay - no biggie… they just weren't meant to be.

But then I pulled out my credit card and… another co-worker came by my desk because it was time to leave for our big meeting at a different location. Dammit! We were already a little late so I couldn't ask her to hold on another 3 minutes.

I spent the majority of the meeting thinking about my shopping cart of goodies. When I finally came back to my computer 3 hours later, everything was gone. I wasn't so bummed about the clothes as much as I was about the bathing suit. It was the perfect suit! 2 tops, 1 bottom for 2 different looks? Kelly green looks great against my skin tone. Yarg!

I spent the rest of the day sulking about this stupid bathing suit and my missed opportunity.

But then God, in an effort to apologize for not giving me breasts, shined a light on me this morning because when I went to double check (seriously - you have no idea how much I wanted that damn suit), most of the items I had originally wanted were available again. While I wasn't able to get the bathing suit in kelly green, I was able to get it in rich aqua. Score! Although in hindsight, I probably should have just not purchased anything because I could have lived without another suit.

I have a shopping addiction.

btw - I'd post a picture of the bathing suit that nearly ruined my day but it has already sold out!

6 comments:

La Petite Chic said...

Oh how frustrating! I almost bought one of those super cheap bikinis too but talked myself out of it. Glad you got it!

addy said...

WHY do you have to mention these awesome sales when I'm trying to not spend any money??? I'm sure the bathing suit will be awesome and worth it!

LWLH said...

this might be a stupid question but how were you able to cross off things in your 1001 list...i tried the del code but it wouldn't work.

LWLH said...

i love reading your blog..you're hilarious!!! i have something for you over at my blog!! enjoy!

Noelle said...

Thanks so much for supporting our economy. We all have to do our little best, even if it is bathing suit related!

Charm City Kim said...

Hi PoisonIvy - it's not a stupid question. I used the del code to cross items off. I added an HTML/Javascript gadget to my blog - I'm not sure if that makes the difference.