Tuesday, February 5, 2008

The Workout Resolution

You know... I'm all for people wanting to be healthier. I really am and I even encourage it (especially with my parents).

As a regular member of a gym, however, I loathe the month of January. The gym is crowded and people are f'ing up my routine! Get off of my machine, a-holes. I've been a regular member for YEARS. Where has your ass been?

Anywho - lucky for me... February generally clears out the non-serious folks and I can get back to my normal routine.

My gym sends out a monthly newsletter and there was a particular blurb that I found to be so true and I thought I'd share (with some of my own commentary sprinkled in):

How to NOT Make the Most of Your Gym Time

We all have experimented with various techniques to make going to the gym more pleasing. But are our tricks actually helping us or hindering us? Here are some common mistakes people make by trying to trick themselves into passing time at the gym.

- Do more talking than exercising. Being friendly and personal is great, but striking up conversations with co-workers or the staff is a wonderful way to take away from time that could be spent burning calories and exercising muscles other than the ones that move your jaw.
This one drives me CRAZY. Now, I understand that people feel that having a friend to workout with is a great motivator. There is something horribly annoying, however, about the people who aren't even breaking a sweat because they're running their yappers. They should have just taken a stroll outside and gotten off the f'n machine that I wanted to use! Even so - I hate when people try to chat me up while I'm working out... especially when I'm dripping with sweat, red-faced and huffing to catch my breath. Hello? I can barely breathe let alone chat with you.

- Get engrossed in the TV. Many look at the televisions as the sugar that helps the exercise go down. But chances are you slow down during exciting parts, and end up concentrating on the show more than on your workout. Who cares if you’re burning only half the calories you should be? At least you know the latest goings on in Britney’s life!
A couple of weeks ago at the gym, a woman asked if she could switch the channel on the TV that I was obviously watching. Because I only had a few minutes left on the treadmill, I said I didn't mind and then she promptly switched it to... JUDGE JOE BROWN. For the next half hour, I watched her slowly peddle on the bike (not breaking a sweat) chatting with her girlfriend about the nonsense on JUDGE JOE BROWN. Last week, I saw a guy completely engrossed in his PSP while on the bike. He must have been peddling about 1 mph because he was too busy trying to score in his video basketball game. He would have been better off playing ACTUAL basketball.

- Work out half-heartedly. It’s enough that you found time in your super-packed schedule to get down to the gym, why add to the work you put in behind the desk by working hard there too? Heaven forbid you actually break a sweat during your lunch hour!
Okay - this one annoys me too. I see plenty of women (I hate to call out my gender here) that are too worried about getting sweaty to actual do anything of substance. Stay home. Go out to lunch. Don't waste your time at the gym. If you're not breaking a sweat, get out of my way.

- Substitute quantity for quality. One hour of strolling on the treadmill while watching tv or chatting with your neighbor is not the same as one hour of walking as if you were late for a hot date or an important interview.


Look - I know its tough to go from not working out to working out. I've been there. But what is the point if you're not even really trying? Its annoying to the rest of us! And its generally the half-hearted people who quit in February. Gee - could it be because you're not taking this new lifestyle change seriously? Or is it because you're not seeing any results?

UGH! Oh - and if you're wondering where my workout rant is coming from... I've always kind of been a nut about working out. Its just a part of my daily routine and I'm lucky enough to have a gym at my office. However, its reached a critical level because The Mr. has been getting into super serious shape and is getting all beefcake on me. I don't like that we're within 10 lbs of each other. Granted - I could NEVER give up carbs but still. Its made me step up my game.

9 comments:

Kate said...

I try to give people the benefit of the doubt - at least they're making some effort to be active instead of being a lazy bum on the couch. But I do agree that if you're there, you might as well make it worth it. I don't believe I'm getting a workout unless I'm sweating all over the place. It's disgusting, I look and smell disgusting - but that's what working out is all about! Another thing that drives me crazy about some ladies working out - those who wear makeup. WHAT?! The makeup would be off of my face so quickly.

Jamie said...

I gave the gym up in January to avoid these people!!

Haha, I'm certainly not a huge gym rat, but when I go I want to sweat as much as possible and I want to feel like my heart is going to explode...that's how I know I'm alive

Nanette said...

I totally agree, Mrs. Twink.

Signed,
The girl who hasn't been to the gym in a couple of weeks but still feels your pain

Anonymous said...

So, when are you going to have a baby? :)

Anonymous said...

I'm generally the anti-resolution gym-goer. I HATE January for all the newbies with no gym etiquette, so I tend to take the month off. Hey, I'm wearing sweaters, it doesn't show so much. Right? Right! But now that it's February - I'll be back! For the next eleven months... ;)

Anonymous said...

*nodding in agreement*

That's why I don't go to the gym. I prefer to sit on my couch with a bag of rice cakes and watch Intervention.

The Ex said...

Oh, you can thank me for being the half hearted person who doesn't even bother trying. I don't mind working out but I KNOW I don't do well in the gym. So I just stay away. I'd rather walk on my lunch hour or do a DVD at home.

But honestly, maybe you should be a little more lenient on these people! Maybe they're feeling things out and trying to see where they fit.

Charm City Kim said...

Well now I feel bad!!

Let me clarify - I see the people who are feeling things out and perhaps they're not running at 8 mph on the treadmill... but they're also not gabbing away or putzing around.

So - I guess I feel like I can spot those who are feeling things out vs those who just aren't trying. The just aren't trying folks are the ones that drive me nuts.

Le Petit Chic said...

I hate January at the gym for the very same reason!