Well - I made it through the first round. THE FIRST ROUND?! There are multiple rounds? What is this crap? I received this e-mail:
Good morning.
Thanks to everyone for your great efforts and enthusiasm during the tryouts for the 2008 [company] boat team. It was by far and away the best turnout we have ever had and easily the most competitive. Thanks also for your patience while we attempted to coordinate tryouts for everyone who registered.
You were successful through the first round of tryouts if you are receiving this email. Congratulations!! The next step is to get out on the water, which will be at least as challenging as the tryouts, but hopefully more fun! Our next set of goals are: 1) to learn the boat paddle technique; 2) understand the importance of everyone in the boat paddling in synch; and 3) executing and working together as a team.
Unfortunately, and as communicated during tryouts, the [event name] event has strict limitations on the number of paddlers each team can carry on its roster. That number is 25. We currently have 33 on the roster and by way of "natural" attrition or otherwise we will need to get down to that number sooner rather than later.
Final decisions for the [event name] 25 will be based on a number of factors including paddle technique, ability to paddle in synch, effort, and additional endurance and strength testing measured primarily on a modified rowing machine. If we are not able to use the modified rowing machines, this testing will be conducted on regular rowing machines.
[blah blah blah blah blah blah blah]
A majority of the members of last year's TRP team have already verbally committed to participate in the DC Festival being held next month. There may be an opportunity for some of the newer paddlers to participate but that will require you to attend practices earlier than previously anticipated (possibly as early as this weekend) to learn the paddle technique. [blah blah blah] There are no guarantees that all new paddlers can participate due to our already high number of committed paddlers.
Thanks, and please do not hesitate to call me with any additional questions.
The first ROUND? You mean I can get cut after splashing around in the dirty Baltimore harbor water? That sucks.
And what's this mess about natural attrition? Are they going to feast on the weak?! Oy - what have I gotten myself into? The Mr told me to stop being so dramatic and that they're referring to people quitting. F that - I am NOT quitting. I am way too competitive for that... unless that water is really smelly and gross. That trumps my competitive spirit.
I looked up every girl that made it through and I'm probably on the weaker side of things. I'm still not quite sure how I made it through so I may have to pull a Tonya Harding or something.
Also - I'm a little irritated with the last paragraph. They're basically saying anyone from last year's team is guaranteed to make it through this second round of tryouts. Seems a little biased if you ask me.
Aaaanywho - this weekend is my one year wedding anniversary (Monday to be exact... stupid leap year). The Mr and I are going up to Philly to act like dorky tourists. I hope everyone has a great weekend!
6 comments:
Fun - we're wedding twins :) Enjoy Philly.
btw - your blogs always make me laugh!
Oh wow Happy Anniversary!
And I've always thought it was BS to let anyone who was on the team the previous year back on the team. BS
sounds intense! have fun this weekend - we had a blast when we were there!
Oh my gosh, that's too funny! It's like you're trying out for the Olympics!
And Happy Anniversary...tomorrow :)
Whoa. That's a pretty hardcore team, huh?
And happy anniversary!
that is one of the longest emails I've ever seen.
Post a Comment