Okay, so The Mr called me this morning and was all, "Did you read Smack's response to a commenter?!" and I was all, "what are you talking about?" so I had to check it out for myself.
First, if you don't read Smack's blog, you really should. She's hilarious and I like to live out my make-believe NYC life through her.
So, I went back to her blog to see who was stirring up trouble and came across a very long comment exchange. You can read it all here.
I'm not going to comment on the fact that this guy is making a lot of assumptions and just seems like an overall turd because eh, that's not what made me mad and I think Smack's response was fabulous. I'm usually more of the, "Oh yeah? You're a stupid fat head!" responder.
What really made me mad was this statement:
You’re beautiful and white and, from the looks of it, have had the good luck to have been one of the astronomically small proportion of people born in a prosperous western nation.
Yes, she's beautiful and white. So what? I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that this guy is a minority. Actually, based on his statement of "As an illegal immigrant, sometimes itinerant, and former ballet dancer, I know where your coming from"... I know he's a minority. And these, my friends, are the types of people I loathe. (note - I copied and pasted his statement. I know how to properly use your and you're... and I don't even have the strength to comment about the being an 'illegal immigrant').
I am a minority. I am fully aware of my ethnicity/race everywhere I go. Regardless of what anyone says, nobody is color blind. I know when I'm the only one with a hint of color anywhere I go. Its who I am.
What I don't do is sit around and feel put upon because I happen to be a minority. Yes, I may have to work a little harder to get promoted or seen (but that's an entirely different story and I think its more to do with the fact that I'm a woman) or to restrain my anger when other people think its appropriate to make jokes about accents and mannerisms of my culture. But I don't sit here and think that all white people have it easy and therefore couldn't possibly have anything to complain about. That's crap.
I had a flashback to a contractor I worked with recently who actually said, "That's why when white people aren't successful, I say its their own fucking fault. They've had everything handed to them on a silver platter." At that moment, I was embarrassed to be a minority. Its this thought process that keeps a divide between races. Its this thought process that doesn't help this nation, this WORLD, to progress forward. And it doesn't just lay with color. I see it all the time with sexual orientation and it really gets my panties in a bunch.
So after reading the "put upon minority"s comment to Smack, I wanted to track him down, kick him in the balls and tell him to SHUT THE FUCK UP because its people like him that make it harder for people like me. People like me who believe that we're all capable of CHANGE, of moving forward, of progressing. Because without this hope, what the fuck is the point of doing anything?
Stupid turd!
Wednesday, December 19, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Hear hear! I agree with you. People need to stop playing the "race card". It's up to the individual person on whether or not they're successful. If you choose to be lazy and believe that because your white, black, asian, hispanic, etc you can do nothing about it, that's exactly what you're going to get...NOTHING! It makes no difference what the color of your skin is.
Thank god -- see that is what pissed me off the most. Show me a silver platter that's been handed to me and I'll show you the hamster shavings underneath it. I haven't had shit handed to me my whole life (except that time I accidently pooped in a pool, it got mistaken for a leaf and literally was ALMOST HANDED TO ME).
Anyway, I went to his myspace page before I let the whole issue go and I see he's mr. colored white (I only say white because he looks pale, this doesn't necessarily mean he's anglo and all that shit, I'm smart). So I don't know what he's bitching about.
I seriously don't care if people disagree with me, that's totally their right. But it's that lame crap that makes me mad. Anyway. He's probably some made up spam turd from turdtown who drives a turdmobile and wears a turd suit.
Ok I just made myself laugh.
AND! I love that the Mr reads my blog too. Loooove it.
amen, sista
LOL...I love the turd-isms in smacks comment...LOVE IT!!!
I'll never know what it's like to be a minority...sure I'm queer, but that's not something that you can tell by looking at me (unless I'm wearing my sequins and rhinestones...hey!!!) We're all different so let's just embrace each other's differences and move on :)
PS- Tom's a Douche Bag!
wait. you're not white?
just kidding.
ignorant people are dumb. this guy is obviously a moron just looking to upset people.
I'm white and I get things handed to me everyday. Why just last week a Bently was handed to me. My Ivy League education was handed to me, as well as my trust fund when I turned 30. Nooooo, wait, the only thing handed to me was a mop to clean up the bullshit that people like Tom spew out from their ignorant pie holes. If you want government handout and Socialism move to France. As for me I'm staying here in the greatest country in the world and will work my as off like a good little capitalist pig to get ahead. Ignorance is bliss, try working for a living and have some pride.
Love it. Very well sad, I was glad to read it! It's nice to hear from someone's who's thinking straight.
So you complain about someone's use of your and you're, but you totally misuse its and it's, you dumb repressed minority. (Just kidding!!!!)
Post a Comment